Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Question to our anoraks,are the temporary barriers behind the Goals legal in this level of Football.

GRADE G

1.7 Pitch Perimeter Barrier

Subject to the provisions detailed below, there must be a permanent fixed barrier ideally 1.1 m high as measured from the spectator side, of sound construction (eg concrete and steel) and free from all sharp edges, surrounding the pitch on all sides that may be occupied by spectators. Existing barriers/rails not at 1.1m high may be acceptable, provided they meet the requirements set out in 1.7 of the Appendix.

The barrier, if other than solid wall type of construction may be infilled. Advertising boards are acceptable as a means of infill.

There must be a minimum of 1.83 metres, ideally 2 metres, between the touchline, goal line and the pitch perimeter barrier.

Immediately in front of an area of seated accommodation the boundary of the playing area may be indicated by means other than a permanent fixed barrier, provided the Club is able to provide assurances that no spectator be allowed to stand in this area to watch the match.

Where there is a walkway in front of a standing terrace which is itself fronted by a crush barrier that has itself been subject to an annual risk assessment and, if necessary, tested, an alternative to a fixed barrier (e.g. A-frames) may be used, provided no spectators are allowed to stand in this area to watch the match. The Club must implement a safety management system to ensure this and also to protect the integrity of the playing area.

(See

Smudge, I've to pull you up on the changing the goalposts thing re. the number of people Guernsey will pay for. They offered 20 originally, the clubs pushed for 25. In the end 22 was agreed upon.

GURU- Keep posting and keep taking the bait. Myself and many others have responded to your comments as you showed a lack of respect to clubs in division one. This is a forum and your entitled to your opinion which in turn others are entitled to view your posts and comment. My comments are not aimed at Guernsey fc and what they do on or off the field they are now in the division and thats that. I was in full support of them joining the division. You put yourself in the firing line so get over the few posts that have been put and keep spouting. Its a long season ahead .

How many of you guernsey chaps speak Guernesiais and what exactly is it?

the answer is, not that many fluently now..the death knell was sounded when children evacuated to the mainland in WWII and spoke only English....

Guernsey Norman French is the ancestral Norman language of Guernsey. It has been spoken by generations of Guernsey people for nearly one thousand years and although, like all natural languages, it has undergone modifications, it has remained remarkably intact conserving many of its distinguishing Norman characteristics. It derives from the ancient tongue spoken in Normandy at the time of William the Conqueror and therefore is closely related to the Norman parlers spoken there today.Guernsey at this time was a possession of the Duchy of Normandy, therefore the language was Norman. This remained the linguistic situation despite the events which took place in continental Normandy, and England, where around 14th century Norman gave way to Middle English. However, it did not do so without leaving its mark on legal and everyday English vocabulary. Some words of Norman origin include; chair, curtain, garden, castle, and in Dguernesiais; tchaire, courtaene, gardìn, châtel respectively. The old Norman form for castle persists in local place names such as Castel and its derivative Castillon. It is this Norman spoken by the people of Guernsey down through the centuries which became known as Lé Dgernesiais.

But isn’t it a form of bad French?

Many believe that Dgernesiais is not a language in its own right, they see it as a form of deformed French, or at best a dialect/patois of it. This is incorrect for as we have already seen (Francien) French and (Norman) Dgernesiais, along with all of the varieties of the Langue d’Oïl, have a common mother language. It is for this reason they share many lexical items. In reality it is equally false to say that Dgernesiais derives from French as it to say that French derives from Dgernesiais. Others believe that Dgernesiais does not posses a coherent grammar, this they conclude because it seems to disobey many prescriptive French grammar rules. This conclusion is illogical as no two languages are governed by the same set of rules. Moreover, all languages evolve in their own way and are subject to independent influences and even though they may originate from a common root, they will diverge and develop their own distinctive characteristics. To say that Dgernesiais disobeys French grammar rules implies by the same token that Spanish and Italian do as well. It is also to deny that Dgernesiais has its own unique history. Finally, it is quite common to hear people state that our island tongue can not be a language because it is not written, as all languages have a standardised written form. This is untrue, a majority of world languages have never been standardised and have no agreed written form, they are passed from one generation to the next by an oral tradition. This was the situation, and still is to a lessor degree, prior to the standardisation of all modern written languages. Noteworthy is the fact that very few people speak the standardised variety of their maternal language.

Bianvnu a Guernesey!!

Smudge, I can't imagine all 2/3k fans will be camped behind the goal mate! There didn't seem that many the other day out of a crowd of 1k. Personally think 22 is plenty with a split of 15 players and 7 managers/officials

Our stand on the half way line holds 720 so that leaves 340 spread around the whole of the rest of the ground

edit - I am refering to the AFC Wimbledon game

Edited by Guernsey Donkey

How can i see them ive looked on your website couldnt see em?

Im jus sitting talking to one of the wombles players dad , good things are being said ........... Well good for you probably not us lol

How can i see them ive looked on your website couldnt see em?

Im jus sitting talking to one of the wombles players dad , good things are being said ........... Well good for you probably not us lol

There's a link further back in this thread Newby - Trebor post no 347

Edited by Green_Fingers

Smudge, you seem to think GFC is made of money, yes they have a great sponsor but you seem to want to take GFC for every possible penny! Your dislike everything GFC is becoming very tiresome.Visitors to Guernsey will be well treated and respected, that is the Guernsey way. Having organised trips for local clubs I know the how much planning goes into this.You bang on how hard this will be for mainland clubs having to travel to Guernsey once a season but never mention the effect of travelling to the UK 20 odd times a season will be for GFC players.We are at a massive disadvantage because we live on an island, but as full members of the FA we have just as much right to allow our players to play at the highest possible level.You probably think we are all mega rich, simple fact is we ain't!I reall wish Smudge could see all the positives that this will bring instead of banging on on his perceived negatives.I wish Mark Le Tissier and Steve Dewnsip and others the best of luck.

Sorry to hear your not mega rich,if you look at the Forum on Friday,I will post up Saturday's Lotto winning numbers as Jurgs has asked me,you do not mind sharing do you.I just feel I am in a minority of one on this Forum,and the reason I have reached that conclusion is not because Guernsey posters have said so,but the lack of an answer from our well respected anoraks on here,by not answering my simple question regarding temporary railings at Footes Lane.I personally think everyone by me has been mesmerised by the great Guernsey offer and promises of mega away crowds,when as you said above your all poor.Well if you are poor suggest you spend your money on essentials,rather than Football.Or maybe even a Gold Membership.

So we should not try and offer our youngsters chances to better themselves and to offernthem chances that all uk youngsters already have?

I have no knowledge of the question you asked as only deal in facts known to me and not just rumours. All I know is that the muratti gets large crowds and there has never been any real issues and this game is a proper local derby and was recently featured on football focus.What has the lottery got to so with football? Especially as the uk lotto is not open to us. So what I am not a gold membership member, does not mean I can voice my opinion.

We are screwed on so many fronts living on an island, we do our best and in this case prepared to pay for an entire league campaign. I hope we find a warmer welcomes that you seem tonbe offering. At least we know how to treat new people, I.e. With an open mind.

Edited by Guernsey