Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Windsor Fc

All good stuff Rother and am pleased if they are the reasons he is doing it. But my 1 question is why, if only funding for Season 1, did he withdraw the money after 6/7 games of the new season. That is what doesnt make sense to me. All the business sense around it is right just that one strange fact.

I did (kind of) answer it in my post when I said:

Why we started the season with what appeared to be the same model I couldn't say - only Kevin can answer that one...

Edited by Rother

Nice Guy, fair enough with what you said.

It would be great if clubs could survive on gate money and sponsorship alone, the problem is that the money from those will never be enough simply due to a lack of interest. It is sad that only a few (50-100) people attend Step 5-6 games, unless the club itself properly markets itself within the community.

Sometimes marketing and reaching out isn't enough - even where I live we struggle to get good gates at Step 2! Oh, and now that our new stadium has been deferred to the 32nd of never we're in danger of losing what we've built up off the pitch.

I did (kind of) answer it in my post when I said:

Why we started the season with what appeared to be the same model I couldn't say - only Kevin can answer that one...

I wasnt really expecting you to be able to answer it Rother just giving my thoughts :)

All good stuff Rother and am pleased if they are the reasons he is doing it. But my 1 question is why, if only funding for Season 1, did he withdraw the money after 6/7 games of the new season. That is what doesnt make sense to me. All the business sense around it is right just that one strange fact.

Agreed NG..... Why after 6/7 games and not pre-season....

Ouch! That was Kroons, not NG. He could track you down for that...!

Maybe someone talked to him and made him reassess (possibly his accountant!), or maybe it was the Olympics epiphany as he suggested in the press article. Or maybe there's been another setback in getting the income streams in place... or a combination of all those and more - who knows?

Well, as I said before, only Kevin knows the answer to that one really.

Agreed NG..... Why after 6/7 games and not pre-season....

Could be a shrewd move - the 10 points they've gained could well be the difference between survival at Step 5 and relegation. As a recent example when DT left Sandhurst early last season most of the players also left within a month or so. Without the 12 points they gained early doors they would have been bottom 2 in May. It isn't easy rebuilding an entire team during the season - Hartley Wintney prime examples.

Maybe someone talked to him and made him reassess (possibly his accountant!), or maybe it was the Olympics epiphany as he suggested in the press article. Or maybe there's been another setback in getting the income streams in place... or a combination of all those and more - who knows?

Roth the Moth, perhaps his accountant should have advised him on last seasons budget ;) !

What I cannot understand and surely you and Windsor supporters must ask, why spend £65000 last season on their management budget ? Wouldn't it have been wiser to say reduce the amount by half last season, and use the second half £32500 for this season ?

Both with the Windsor FC pull and smaller budgets would give Windsor good chance of getting promotion or as near as, but it is because your ex-manager Scott was not conversant with the CCL level and players. Evidence backs this by getting back some Windsor & Eton players he knew who were playing at a higher level in Southern League, so this has led Windsor to paying over the odds and more to each player, to match (one would presume) what they were earning prior to moving to Windsor so expecting to win the league.

I repeat, all I can imagine is that Windsor paid that type of cash giving Scott a brief to get immediate promotion ! My grind is that the Scott could not get Windsor promoted nor win any silverware on that massive CCL budget and now that the money has gone, so has he......why not stay ? Thats the question to ask. Scott was probably getting paid and maybe because of that he couldn't stay, or he couldn't stay and get a team to manage for nothing ?

Personally, its not all doom and gloom as Windsor FC have good facilities and a very good pitch which could entice good CCL players, but again is the new manager Woodham conversant with CCL ? I do not know too much about Woodham only that he was Windsor's Youth team manager, so its obvious that as the cash has gone, the youth team will be asked to compete in the CCL Prem so that is understandable why Woodham has taken over the reigns for continuity.

Will be interesting to see the Windsor youth including some players that may stay (I doubt it) against Egham next Monday, 'cos that will be a goof test and see where Windsor are playing wise.

£65k, pah.

Whatever sum of money was spent last season was Kevin Stott's personal undertaking to get the club afloat so nobody should be asking questions of him in that regard. He honoured his commitment end of story. The fact that the additional income streams have been delayed is something he would have foreseen as a possibility but decided to go ahead with the plans for 2011/12 with eyes open to that risk.

Presumably it was worth it to him to do that so I'd be surprised if he had any regrets as a result. Wherever financial investment is concerned there's always a risk but one doesn't make an undertaking then regret the decisions made when the gameplan changes - you just react to it and continue looking forward rather than backwards, albeit with an altered perspective.

I'm confident his energy, commitment, vision for the future and general love for the club remains undimmed.

And in his own words (apologies to Kevin for my paraphrased quote, but I do remember it pretty clearly) at the last meeting with the fans last season when it was already clear we were not going up - "it is not about this year, next year or even 3 years down the road, I got involved to create a legacy that stretches 50 years into the future. It's disappointing that things are taking longer than hoped (to get the revenue streams online) but that's just the reality we have to deal with...."

Olympics epiphany? In what way? We should all stop paying and just play sport for fun type epiphany?

Taken from press interview...

Stott, who has always maintained he doesn't want the club to rely on a benefactor, says he decided to take Windsor down a new path having been inspired by a trip to the Olympics.

He said: "I was lucky enough to attend two gold medal winning events by Team GB. What struck me most of all was not just the performances, but the importance of creating a legacy from the games by, as the organisers put it, ‘Inspiring the next generation of athletes.’

"As I drove home I realised that as a club we had lost our way a bit and where in danger of becoming a little too focused on the first team at the expense of our primary objective of creating a self- sustaining football club.

"This will not only allow us to inspire the next generation but the next 50 years of footballers in Windsor and the surrounding area.

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/Sport/Football/Windsor-FC/We-had-lost-our-way-says-Windsor-FC-chief-Kevin-Stott-03092012.htm

Taken from press interview...

http://www.maidenhea...tt-03092012.htm

£65k yeah !

''Focusing in on the first team''...EXACTLY ! ...and I wonder what epiphany it would have been had it not been the Olympic year ?

I just can't get my head around why the club, chairman whoever could vouch for spending that much on a brand new club/Company for nil purchase or reward.....massive gamble. Yes paying excellent budget/wages does not always bring you immediate guaranteed success, but we are talking beyond excellent here, and in my eyes the management failed and the £65k becomes a waste.

In hindsight, I believe the chairman feels he's made a mistake and now has to forfeit a decent side ;cos of being too ambitious in Windsor's first season.

Listen, at the end of the day, its the clubs/chairmans money so he can do what he likes with it, but I feel there is some regret along the line, and if I'm being honest, IF Windsor had got promotion, I believe a budget would have been sourced irrespective of any press comments.

As I suspected, a further waste of my time because no matter what anyone says you have a totally closed mind, preferring to stick with your own suspicions and half-baked theories rather than what people tell you is actually the case.

That's your prerogative of course but it makes any attempt at discussion pretty redundant.

£65k yeah !

''Focusing in on the first team''...EXACTLY ! ...and I wonder what epiphany it would have been had it not been the Olympic year ?

I just can't get my head around why the club, chairman whoever could vouch for spending that much on a brand new club/Company for nil purchase or reward.....massive gamble. Yes paying excellent budget/wages does not always bring you immediate guaranteed success, but we are talking beyond excellent here, and in my eyes the management failed and the £65k becomes a waste.

In hindsight, I believe the chairman feels he's made a mistake and now has to forfeit a decent side ;cos of being too ambitious in Windsor's first season.

Listen, at the end of the day, its the clubs/chairmans money so he can do what he likes with it, but I feel there is some regret along the line, and if I'm being honest, IF Windsor had got promotion, I believe a budget would have been sourced irrespective of any press comments.

And there ends the story!!

If a tweet from our skipper saying "the prodigal son returns" and said prodigal son says he has come to put Arran Taylor-Ives "back on the straight and narrow" mean yes, then yes, Mr Houghton has returned to the Stadium of Runnymede. No idea if he would be fit for Monday. May find out on Saturday.

1 player staying, 1 player re-signed, 2 or 3 already going. Having seen the 2 youth lads that came on late against Croydon I'm hopeful for the future. Rather have the difficult decision made now and have a club in the future than what happened in the past. If the worst happened and we went down there's some decent friendly clubs in CCL Div 1 anyway !

Whilst most of you have mocked me about Windsor, may I suggest you go onto their forum and read some of the supporters comments made under the thread Windsor Budget Cut/Scott resigns....

So - "please go to their forum to read more of my attempts to put the whole situation in a bad light". We get it, they spent a lot last year and finished 2nd, we know. It's incredibly easy to point that out now.

Tango Man's comments show that being a supporter means they'd still be there with a smile on their face even if they went down as part of the rebuilding process - great to see.

Good luck to Windsor - tough decision to go against the flow but attracting players with a decent set up/ethos/coaching staff minus the brown paper packet is possible.

GFC play for nothing - fact and I'd be suspicious if I didn't know and was a CCL fan but really they don't get paid a penny. They are in a very unique position and to draw any sort of comparison would be unfair but the reasons players play for them and commit so wholeheartedly are

- no money changes hands anywhere in Guernsey so they have no option at another local club but to play for free

- they are all very proud of the green shirt and everything that goes with it (this used to be the case if you played for your local senior side in the UK)

- they get the best treatment outside the conference (great coaching, medical support, conditioning advice/programmes, masseur, playing, training and travelling kit)

- they are literally inspiring future generations because of the interest in the team locally, and so the ego/self esteem gets a regular boost when they walk down the street (a responsibility they all take seriously but don't act like superstars because Guernsey just doesn't let anyone behave that way for long)

- they are successful

I accept that there is a ceiling in terms of the pyramid where you simply couldn't go beyond if you didn't start paying players (maybe Step 4), though Guernsey's unique status and financial backing may prove me wrong.

So, if Windsor and any other non league club can tap into this way of doing it and consolidate where they are, football will be on it's way to rebuilding it's reputation when compared with other sports.

If you look hard enough, you'll find one non league club with over £1.5m of debt to one man - in the 4 years or so that it has taken to accumulate that debt, they have not been promoted once, so have stood still paying roughly 4 times what other clubs have paid as an overall budget to achieve the same position. I respect those in charge at that club as they give time and money to the game we all love but it is not a model that will work often, if at all.

One more point - maybe a half way house on this is to pay performance related pay at the end of each month or even season. Just a thought if you needed some carrot without paying out the thick end of 2k a week.