Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Leatherhead

seemgee

As disappointed as everybody  else, yesterday was poor all round. Think its fair that the management team gets the chance to win the League Cup having made it to the final successfully. I hope the team raises their game on that day.

On attendances, somebody said that Spurs and Arsenal weren't playing yesterday but there was still 45,000 at White Hart Lane for the Legends game at the new stadium. Our attendances, even at the old club, have always been disappointing even when we were winning things - the remarkable thing about this club though is the high percentage of our home supporters that go to all the away games too!

4WF, you've hit the nail on the head. Everyone knows better than the person doing the actual job. I'm in the minority (obviously) because the manager has my sympathy. Now I've only spoken to him a couple of times this season and like he said to me last season when I had a chat with him he carries the can when things aren't going right. But as I said I have some sympathy for him, and I will use the last 3 games (I know there's plenty of others) as examples. Bognor, players switched off from a short corner/free kick. Haringey, player caught in possession, goal. 2 players looking at the ball in the pen area, penalty goal. Yesterday, unmarked player allowed free header from 7 yards. My point is he can send out players with instructions but these are individual mistakes that he can do nothing about, other than get rid of the players and if he did that we'd have the under 18s playing. Now I'm not a member but there was a meeting where those of you that were could go and air your views to the manager, but from what I was told, it was fairly tame. You can give all the excuses you want but if you are as passionate as your comments of this forum suggest then perhaps you should have gone and spoken face to face to get your views across. It's all fairly easy being wise after the event.

Isn’t that the nature of football TJ ... managers carry the can if players switch off... don’t perform or results are not what’s expected.... I think the supporters have been very fair to AL a few comments on here from disgruntled supporters but nothing coming from the terraces ... if the club and yourself are satisfied with performances and results then that’s great but not to expect any criticism for a pretty dire season football wise is hoping a bit much.... 

TJF, my remarks from the outset have been based on fact. You say speak to the manager. Having had experience of "someone" turning his back on you at the end of a game when you offer your hand speaks spoke volumes to me. I do not intend suffering the same fate from a person who shows such little respect. Something which others have told me is not unusual QED.

That said my criticism now is based on what I have seen on the field of play. If you are saying that no one follows AL's instructions then it speaks volumes for his leadership. Yesterday there was no coordination, tactical planning etc which I do not accept was due down to players only. 

I expect the playing management to show their playing philosophy on the pitch and when you have none blame the players. Sometimes you have to admit you are not up to it yourself. I leave it to you to do what you feel best.

Once again THeo you have put things in proper perspective. Those with criticism can't all be wrong. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

2 hours ago, TJFootie said:

4WF, you've hit the nail on the head. Everyone knows better than the person doing the actual job. I'm in the minority (obviously) because the manager has my sympathy. Now I've only spoken to him a couple of times this season and like he said to me last season when I had a chat with him he carries the can when things aren't going right. But as I said I have some sympathy for him, and I will use the last 3 games (I know there's plenty of others) as examples. Bognor, players switched off from a short corner/free kick. Haringey, player caught in possession, goal. 2 players looking at the ball in the pen area, penalty goal. Yesterday, unmarked player allowed free header from 7 yards. My point is he can send out players with instructions but these are individual mistakes that he can do nothing about, other than get rid of the players and if he did that we'd have the under 18s playing. Now I'm not a member but there was a meeting where those of you that were could go and air your views to the manager, but from what I was told, it was fairly tame. You can give all the excuses you want but if you are as passionate as your comments of this forum suggest then perhaps you should have gone and spoken face to face to get your views across. It's all fairly easy being wise after the event.

I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. The buck stops with the manager - he signs the players, decides the formation, oversees training. If the players don't follow his instructions/aren't good enough then that is the result of the manager's lack of judgement. It is not for the fans to 'talk to the manager'. I mean, what good would that do?! Is Andy going to concede that his selections and tactics have been poor? No he isn't. I'll happily talk to the management team about a player's fitness or injury etc, but its not a forum for pointing out what they should be able to see out on the pitch or in training.

Andy Leese set targets. He has failed to achieve these. There should be only one outcome as a result.

At least we're not in a relegation dogfight!

I agree that the players have carried on working. The trouble is that the whole package isn't quite working - and has only flattered to deceive on a couple of occasions.

We need a defence. I know that we've got players missing at the moment, but our defence this season has been about as solid as a blancmange. I'm sure someone can provide the number of clean sheets...

Billy Bricknell - perhaps the best predatory striker at this level of non-league, BUT he needs someone alongside him to take some of the pressure off him. His game isn't chasing lost causes and out-pacing 3 defenders. He needs to receive the ball in the right areas. Yes, I know that Mo Faal looked to be the ideal strike partner, but he's been injured more than he's been available since joining. The Plan Bs that Andy has tried have looked pretty toothless. Andy cannot simply rely upon one or two players being fit throughout the season. Injuries are a fact of football.

Speaking of injuries - any news on Ryan Blackman?

DJw glad to hear Ryan Blackman got early treatment. I too was lucky when I dislocated mine that there was some close at hand who knew how to put it back in place. The surgeon at the hospital said it save me many weeks of treatment.

I hope he starts to his a recovery soon.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I'm starting to come around to the consensus on here - Saturday did not make enjoyable watching, and when we went a goal down (another individual mistake), I think that sadly the writing was on the wall. Yes Leatherhead defended well, but they only did what any side in their position would have done and we didn't do nearly enough to carve out clear cut chances.

I don't think it's fair to question the selection of certain players over others, as most people on here don't know what the situation is with players carrying knocks or lacking fitness, but no issue with questioning the overall standard of play. It's not pretty at times, and not filling me with excitement about the side. As others have commented, we have a lot of quality all across this squad and it's not unreasonable to expect to be higher up the table and playing more fluent football.

Will of course continue to support the team, regardless of who is in charge and how we're playing - anything else is counterproductive. As a final note, I hope that Ryan makes a speedy recovery and that the injury isn't as bad as it looked at the time.

Barney, I only have one issue with your well balanced view. That is people would not comment on team selection if the supporters were given at least a monthly report on the injured and their progress of recovery. A simple statement on line would be sufficient to deter the discussion on team selection. If most senior professional clubs can do it then why not ours.

Take last Saturday. There were four players on the bench two of whom were only recently heralded as great acquisition another an astute loan arrangement. The Fourth, Youngs, who it seems has been carrying a known injury. Consequently if we assume that the other three are also injured where is the logic of having them on the bench. Why could not one/two have made a start rather than being brought on during the game. The effect on the injury would have been the same.

If on the other hand they were not injured then, with out information, we can only conclude that they were not considered for a starting place. Which suggests that one is now thought not to be, as quoted,  " the best left back in the league" and the other two not very good acquisitions. How in such a short time as this happened. Poor management or bad judgement!!!!! 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
Add further content.

3 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Barney, I only have one issue with your well balanced view. That is people would not comment on team selection if the supporters were given at least a monthly report on the injured and their progress of recovery. A simple statement on line would be sufficient to deter the discussion on team selection. If most senior professional clubs can do it then why not ours.

Take last Saturday. There were four players on the bench two of whom were only recently heralded as great acquisition another an astute loan arrangement. The Fourth, Youngs, who it seems has been carrying a known injury. Consequently if we assume that the other three are also injured where is the logic of having them on the bench. Why could not one/two have made a start rather than being brought on during the game. The effect on the injury would have been the same.

If on the other hand they were not injured then, with out information, we can only conclude that they were not considered for a starting place. Which suggests that one is now thought not to be, as quoted,  " the best left back in the league" and the other two not very good acquisitions. How in such a short time as this happened. Poor management or bad judgement!!!!! 

Youngs "seems to have been carrying a known injury"? Don't you read the match reports or watch the videos? He was carried off at Whitehawk and hadn't played since. You recently complained about Rumens "keeping his place" at Haringey when he was recalled after being dropped for the previous three games. Why should I take anything you write seriously?

Given that Porter is cup-tied for the final next week don't you think that might be part of the reason for his non-selection? It's obvious that the left side of our defence for the final will have to be two of Rumens, Payne and Green. I don't think it's any conicidence that the last two league starts have featured two of the three possible permutations and who'd bet against Payne and Green starting on Saturday if that's the case?

Tom S, thanks for your submission. Why can't you take my posts seriously? Well in the first place I haven't seen any videos and secondly in the past few weeks I have been having medical treatment. Consequently I judge what I see when I am able to get to matches.

In your tirade you obviously missed my main point which was it may be helpful if an occasional update on injuries was promulgated then people like me would not have to solely rely on what other write or hear say.

Your suggestion that people were left out because they were cup tied shows that you consider the Cup more important than gaining points towards the playoffs. This to me shows a complete naivety on how to run a football club.  I think ,however, BtG's  reply makes a strong point.

Ps. Please do people a favour and read what is written before jumping. I will still look forward to hearing your views in the future because that is what this forum is about..

41 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I note that QPR have dispensed with their manager today in order to allow time to prepare for next season.

I like their thinking...

I make a prediction that AL will resign after the cup final... he might be stubborn but he  can’t be stupid... he will know that this season hasn’t been good enough... he will know that the supporters although not vocal are fed up and rapidly losing interest as Saturday showed.... he will also do what is best for the club..... I will personally say thanks for all the time and effort he has put in ... let’s hope he calls it a day holding a cup....