Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

These the same players who consider themselves semi-professional footballers? I do not want to beat teams 10-0, does nothing for the game. Want competitive football, playing three games in three days, four matches in five days and with lots of travelling in between including playing on a Friday before travelling back on the Saturday to play at home is hardly likely to achieve that. All to prevent teams from having to travel to the island midweek ONCE in a lifetime when everyone knew from day one that this was a possibility if circumstances meant there was no other option.

I doubt players at sides like Egham Town or any other CCL Premier club give a moment's thought to finding a suitable label for their Saturday afternoon pastime. They want a game of football, and when your pitch is unusable and they have made plans with work and sorted out family commitments to get to the island and it all goes wrong they are hacked off because that day off work, those familial arrangements, to allow for the Friday flight have come to nought.

I seem to remember hearing that Guernsey told the CCL that their pitch was perfect and games hardly ever got called off. We were also led to believe that we would be staying in a hotel in St Peter Port, not some shitty dump in the middle of nowhere. In every single post match discussion with opposition officials the tale of woe that is Guernsey is the major topic. Come the next AGM I (purely on a hunch) would not be surprised if a motion to expel Guernsey were put forward. I think that the number supporting it would be a lot higher now than the seven who originally saw the folly of electing GFC. This is not anti-Channel Islander rhetoric, it is simple common sense. Last season you got lucky with the weather and finished the season properly. This season the CCL Premier has been twisted out of shape because of the increasing backlog in your "P" column. Now it seems the league has to take a decision to excise certain fixtures to allow for GFC having played only 19 games in EIGHT months. That won't help the finances of the clubs due to host games against GFC. Face it, it has been a disaster.

I still can't see us failing to achieve promotion. Even with so many games there is a very big squad of players with even more available to call upon from the Priaulx league who shouldn't look out of place in this league. Rotation will cause problems but I doubt we will end up losing more than we win.

Not sure if its possible to work out but realistically how games would we need to win from our remaining fixtures in order to be promoted?

being more realistic

with the number of games to be played in such a short period of time i think promotion is unlikely

so we will have another year in the premier league, just for all the people who don't want us in the league!

hopefully next year with uk teams coming here on a Tuesday

and for the moaners about the free accomadation, the airport contract will be just about finished so there will be plenty of space just opposite the airport for them to stay in.

have just sorted sitters for all the night games and re organised the diary for all the home games for me and the bigger kids , we will support the players any way we can, who i believe will still give it everything, no moaning and groaning just Guernsey Men getting on with the task put in front of them.

I doubt players at sides like Egham Town or any other CCL Premier club give a moment's thought to finding a suitable label for their Saturday afternoon pastime. They want a game of football, and when your pitch is unusable and they have made plans with work and sorted out family commitments to get to the island and it all goes wrong they are hacked off because that day off work, those familial arrangements, to allow for the Friday flight have come to nought.

I seem to remember hearing that Guernsey told the CCL that their pitch was perfect and games hardly ever got called off. We were also led to believe that we would be staying in a hotel in St Peter Port, not some shitty dump in the middle of nowhere. In every single post match discussion with opposition officials the tale of woe that is Guernsey is the major topic. Come the next AGM I (purely on a hunch) would not be surprised if a motion to expel Guernsey were put forward. I think that the number supporting it would be a lot higher now than the seven who originally saw the folly of electing GFC. This is not anti-Channel Islander rhetoric, it is simple common sense. Last season you got lucky with the weather and finished the season properly. This season the CCL Premier has been twisted out of shape because of the increasing backlog in your "P" column. Now it seems the league has to take a decision to excise certain fixtures to allow for GFC having played only 19 games in EIGHT months. That won't help the finances of the clubs due to host games against GFC. Face it, it has been a disaster.

I think you will find its that we have been unlucky with the weather this year, as opposed to being lucky last year.

And until someone is able to confirm that as part of GFCs entry it was agreed that NO team would have to travel midweek, then I remain flabbergasted that this hasn't been implemented.

Looking forward to a more typical run at it next year!

What a joke. Three times we have Fri night away games, with an overnight stay, then playing 3 pm at home the following day. No one else seems to be inconvenienced whatsoever. Cheers CCL, be great to see the back of you after next season.

I can only see one Friday night away game with a 3pm Home kick off the following day. The other occasions are Friday night Home games followed by Saturday 3pm home games.

And until someone is able to confirm that as part of GFCs entry it was agreed that NO team would have to travel midweek, then I remain flabbergasted that this hasn't been implemented.

No that was not agreed, what was agreed was that midweek matches in Guernsey would only take place in extreme circumstances. I would guess that the current situation is not extreme enough, despite promises made earlier this season.

Edited by HKP

One of the main arguments over teams not wanting to travel midweek is the problem in taking time off work. But is this really the case? Reason for asking this is if this was the case then why are teams playing on a Sunday still wanting to stay on the Sunday evening when it would make better sense to go back Sunday evening so they can get to work on time.

If clubs are really that bothered and annoyed why dont they just let Guernsey win all their games so that they get promoted. No problem then.

I for one am hoping they stay down so I have another excuse next year to go over their as it is a lovley place to visit. And yes I am paying for myself !

Not sure if its possible to work out but realistically how games would we need to win from our remaining fixtures in order to be promoted?

Clearly there are a ton of variables but at present with 23 games left to play:

If Guernsey won 22 of them, they would get to 111 points which is the same as Egham's maximum possible total.

If Guernsey won 17 of them, they would get to 96 which is the same as the max possibles for Epsom & Ewell, Cove and South Park.

Badshot Lea can get to 91 (so 16 wins beats that). Windsor can get to 81 (12 wins).

In other words, it's still in Guernsey's hands to be promoted.

But on the postponements that is not the full story, yes of course there have been severe problems with the pitch, which hopefully is now resolved for the rest of the season. But many games have also been lost to the FA Vase, so that is hardly GFC's fault. Games have also been postponed at short notice in the UK due to weather. Other clubs also have had problems year after year, Chessington & Hook for example but I do not see anyone calling for them to be kicked out of the League. Also wasn't there another club that could not play for the first couple of months of the season at home due to a problem with their pitch? Perhaps they should be voted out as well?

I am detecting some bitterness here on both sides.

It has to be said I didn't think the CCL would go down that route, so they must have met some real hostility from some of the clubs to a midweek journey.

It makes Guernsey's job harder than it was before. Still, if South Park and Epsom keep dropping points, their job will become easier. To answer a question about how many points do Guernsey need, the most any team apart from Egham can get I believe is now 96. That would equate to 2.29 points per game which would definitely get one of the best second place spots.

So there's your answer. Guernsey need 96 points, that's 51 points from 23 remaining games. That is a worst case scenario. Cove, ourselves and South Park can now get that figure but you would surely beat all of them on goal difference.

HKP it must be remembered that you will have the FA Cup to enter next year and if you go up you will be at the very first round of the FA Trophy. Also there are 46 fixtures up there next season assuming you move to the Ryman League as expected, not 42 like down here.

Of course if you stay down for next season you will have an exemption to the Second Round of the FA Vase as all sides who reach the fourth round get that privilege. That will save you three matches.