Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

It is simply unbelievable to think that with less than 2 months of the season remaining GFC still haven't even yet played half thier required league games. One solution would be for them to resign from the league and have all their results expunged.

GFC are not alone with this problem Chubby. Another of the Vase semi-finalists - Shildon, still have 23 League games to finish before 4th May (although they're playing one of those tonight)

unfortunately with our lovely british weather i jus cant see them fitting them in surely youd rather win the league than the fa vase? i think they shouldve boughed out in an earlier round yeah fantastic achievment but you aren't gona fulfill all your fixtures after more postponements as guernsey have progressed.

yippeee free weekend again next season ;)

Think a bombshell will be dropped on CCL Teams this week,who have not visited Guernsey yet,Evening Midweek fixtures anyone,that is the only SOLUTION.Whats good for the Goose is good for the Turkeys.

Edited by Smudge

GFC are not alone with this problem Chubby. Another of the Vase semi-finalists - Shildon, still have 23 League games to finish before 4th May (although they're playing one of those tonight)

Difference is that they can and have been playing at home mid-week and do not have to share their pitch with other users.

Think a bombshell will be dropped on CCL Teams this week,who have not visited Guernsey yet,Evening Midweek fixtures anyone,that is the only SOLUTION.Whats good for the Goose is good for the Turkeys.

Not exactly a bonbshell, we've all known for weeks, possibly the last couple of months.

It is simply unbelievable to think that with less than 2 months of the season remaining GFC still haven't even yet played half thier required league games. One solution would be for them to resign from the league and have all their results expunged.

Another excellent idea.

Thanks for your continued support.

As I've said before it's easy to get all those games played. The only people who have logistical problems are the Guernsey travel people who will have to sort out the travel arrangements for the visiting sides and the Guernsey Management as they know they'll have to juggle their side.

There is no reason why a Guernsey side couldn't actually play five games in seven days in April or something similar. They won't be able to play their first team in every game, but they have a large squad and every travelling team only has to go there once so I don't know why we are talking rubbish about pulling out of the league and stuff like that.

Of course it's not ideal for anyone, but when we constantly bang on about it every time they get another game postponed it gets boring. No wonder this thread is 53 pages in length!

The only issue is whether travelling teams will get much notice and I understand from the League Bulletin that the League were making a statement this week. It will undoubtedly contain the words "regrettably" and "midweek journeys". Hopefully everyone will get a week or two notice before having to get over there, but I must admit to being concerned if Guernsey reach the Vase Final, as our match on 5th May (and Dorking's two days earlier) will also have to move again and a midweek evening in April will be the fate for both of us too but with limited notice.

Edited by E&E Fred

I would have thought having a CCL team in the semi-final of the FA Vase would be something for everyone involved in CCL football to enjoy and back? Of course there have been problems with the pitch, something here we are very aware of, but this has been out of the control of the club. The fixture backlog is causing real problems for GFC players and staff, don't see them moaning, but people who are either not affcted by this or might just one game affected think its the end of the world. A small number of clubs will probably need to travel mid-week, but GFC have done everything they can do avoid this, but the pitch and the Vase run has meant this is now inveitable.

Edited by Jade

Just to highlight the League rule on midweek matches, as imposed on them by the FA.

"To re-schedule a midweek fixture for an evening other than a Club’s usual midweek night will require written agreement of both Clubs and the Competition Secretary"

GFC's "usual" midweek night - as listed on the Leagues Official website - is Wednesday, so presumably the away side will have to agree in writing to any midweek day other than a Wednesday?

I would imagine there is a similar rule that allows this particular situation to be repealed should circumstances require it. Otherwise the FA's other rule about finishing a season by a certain date would be impossible for Guernsey, Shildon, Tunbridge Wells and probably many many others this season.

Thanks for your continued support.

Make sure that you wear it at ALL times !!

:bolt:

I would have thought having a CCL team in the semi-final of the FA Vase would be something for everyone involved in CCL football to enjoy and back? Of course there have been problems with the pitch, something here we are very aware of, but this has been out of the control of the club. The fixture backlog is causing real problems for GFC players and staff, don't see them moaning, but people who are either not affcted by this or might just one game affected think its the end of the world. A small number of clubs will probably need to travel mid-week, but GFC have done everything they can do avoid this, but the pitch and the Vase run has meant this is now inveitable.

i dont think anyone has knocked guernsey for reaching the semi final nothing but admiration but surely youd rather win the league rather than the vase? the cup isnt going to make you progress as a club an by your backlog of fixtutres its more of a hindrance for all to see

I'd rather win the Vase!

Professional full time footballers play all their lives and very rarely get the chance to play at Wembley. Guernsey can get promoted next season, or the season after! They may never get this opportunity again. Take it with both hands and make history is what I say!

i dont think anyone has knocked guernsey for reaching the semi final nothing but admiration but surely youd rather win the league rather than the vase? the cup isnt going to make you progress as a club an by your backlog of fixtutres its more of a hindrance for all to see

I would rather win the League, but as some have pointed out in the local paper, for this season that is now unlikely to happen due to the backlog of fixtures. Some of those posting on here certainly give the imprerssion that they would rather Guernsey were not successful in the Vase. The point is the backlog is a major problem for us, but it will only cause a problem for one match for a small number of clubs. Some of those perhaps need to see the bigger picture. Having to play a league match less than 24 hours after a Vase semi is not great, but no moans from us, but to see some on here wanting GFC to leave this League is sad to see.

One solution would be for them to resign from the league and have all their results expunged.

Edited by Jade

I'd rather win the Vase!

Professional full time footballers play all their lives and very rarely get the chance to play at Wembley. Guernsey can get promoted next season, or the season after! They may never get this opportunity again. Take it with both hands and make history is what I say!

Absolutely correct JJ, the Team would give up the league promotion for playing in a cup game at Wembley any day of the week, as you say, this may be a once in a lifetime chance for some of the players. Guernsey FC are trying to compete in all competitions and are men of great character, but one fears that the fixture backlog may prove to be a tall order to maintain form and fitness throughout. I don't believe that anyone would wish us bad luck on this forum - the're all such a nice bunch of guys. :rollwink:

Good luck to Guernsey, just ignore the haters. It's not as if they can do anything to change the outcome anyway.

I hope they get to Wembley and win - hopefully it will knock the stuffing out of a few 'know it all's.'

johno see your point, is that the skipper in you wishing you were there lifting it ? ;) an i hope you do win it personally spoke to steve dewsnip an of course wished you luck massive in only your second season , but cups dont progress you league titles do always nice to win a cup but leagues are more important imo

know it alls adam was that aimed at me?