Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

JUDGEMENT NIGHT Tuesday 26th Feb

bobuk

Agree Bob, GFC were very average tonight. That defeat will certainly hurt them and in view of the fact that they now have half a season to fit into just 2 months I simply cannot see them finishing in the top 3, it's just too big an ask - the team looked jaded and disorganised tonight which doesn't bode well.

Well What a Game Best Performance by Egham in the years we have Been in The CCL Think we can go on and Win the League But We could still Mess this up lol :smilie_flagguk:

Egham played you off the park tonight. Never gave you a moment to settle and closed you down early. The ref was your 12th player tonight but the best team won through effort and not because Guernsey had a bad day at the office.

Literally took the words out of my gob! Good to see matt le tissier turn up at the match. The last ex pro I recognised down ar egham was tony adams and hes a miserable sod.

Can't remember you being the better side on the day duncs, but my memory is not what it was :)

An excerpt from the (undoubtedly biased) Wimbledon match report re the sending off:

Two minutes later the visitors were reduced to 10 men after right wing back Ripley's horrible tackle on Gray sparked a 30 man bundle. Members of the Dons coaching stuff hared off down the touchline to stop the incident escalating, but that merely escalated the incident and Dobinson emerged nursing his jaw. Ripley was shown the red card, but was defended by his manager who was quick to point out that he was "only 17." Fine. He's 17 and he's nearly broken Ryan Gray's leg.

Just the one yellow in the game for the home side and the crowd was 2,738.

Memory failing you duncs? ;)

Hilarious! Post of The Year!!

Literally took the words out of my gob! Good to see matt le tissier turn up at the match. The last ex pro I recognised down ar egham was tony adams and hes a miserable sod.

perhaps if youd offered him a drink he woulda cheered up ;)

Egham played you off the park tonight. Never gave you a moment to settle and closed you down early. The ref was your 12th player tonight but the best team won through effort and not because Guernsey had a bad day at the office.

All right mate calm now! I gave you credit and i said you were much the better side and you did deserve it and you should indeed have a couple of penalties. I don't think its wrong to presume that a poor guernsey performance contributed though. Fair assumption to say if they were at their best the result may have been different as you wouldn't be closing us down as quick or playing us off the park. As it happens, we weren't good at all, and you did play extremely well. Both were a factor, with Egham's performance obviously bejng the main one.

They snuffed out anythjng that came forward apart from the goal and looked like that could score whenever they attacked. Egham contributed to our poor showing by closing us down and not allowing us time to settle or play the ball around

Edited by Green Lion

Guernsey took one hell of a beating tonight.

Do Guernsey always smash it long to Heuame? Every time I've seen them that's all they do.

Allen is class but only touched the ball about 7 times

It varies from game to game i think bob. Sometimes to do with opposition weaknesses (rye for example really struggled with it) but no doubt we are missing Zico and Gus in the middle, zico especially is a calming influence and a big help to our passing game. Le Prevost was CB tonight and when he plays in midfield he is often the same. Missing our key players an just a bad night all round coupled with an excellent Egham performance

Edited by Green Lion

Agree Bob, GFC were very average tonight. That defeat will certainly hurt them and in view of the fact that they now have half a season to fit into just 2 months I simply cannot see them finishing in the top 3, it's just too big an ask - the team looked jaded and disorganised tonight which doesn't bode well.

I can't for a moment not see Guernsey finishing in the top three chubby. It has to be said though that they will be hard pressed to catch Egham now who have finished playing Guernsey, ourselves and Windsor and (time for the Fergie mind games) it's theirs to lose now :)

As for Epsom last night, we have had a little fortune with some late winners recently and I have to say I thought we were very unfortunate last night, so I suppose it was always going to even up sometime.

We had two shots cleared off the line, hit the post twice and had two really, really blatant handballs given as corners by the referee. Both times the hand was outstretched away from the body and I was really disappointed with those decisions. We also had the awful sight of Kyle Hough dislocating a kneecap, and although it was put back in soon after, he has joined our injury list too. We'll be really strong again by the end of March!

Despite all of that in the first hour we got it back to 1-1 and I think everyone thought we would push on, but within a minute we conceded a penalty and two minutes later a third went in from distance and that was pretty much that.

We were probably fortunate that our defender didn't get sent off for the penalty, as it was central and he appeared (from some distance away, admittedly) to be the last man, but it was in keeping with a series of "non-decisions" by the referee. He tried to let the game flow, which was good and Windsor executed their counter attacks very well.

In summary we played better than we did against Raynes Park, but sometimes it's just not your day and congratulations to Windsor who looked very lively going forward.

We always knew the run would end at some point, and the key to our season would always be about how we responded when it happened. We'll find that out on Saturday at Cove.

Edited by E&E Fred

Well deserved Egham. Great tactics and lots of passion and bite. Totally shocking though from Guernsey. This was the big one and there was no life or zip whatsoever. Just a few thoughts. It was plainly obvious early on that the long ball was not going to work so why carry on for the entire 90 minutes? Egham played the ball expertly on the ground and the pitch didn't seem that bad. We can do that very well also so why not? What the hell is Zimmerman doing at right back? Like Bambi with a broken leg! Constantly on the back foot, beaten at will by their left winger and cannot pass a ball for toffee. Surely somebody else could of filled in there?

I think one of the issues today was not having a recognised full-back on either wing. One on the wrong side of the pitch and the other out of his depth (as mentioned previously). A lot of people see a full-back as just there to make up the numbers but in modern football and the way GFC play they are vital. Even Arsenal suffered in a big way (more than they already have!) earlier in the season when they lost their full-backs. The warning signs were there on Saturday but luckily Wembley didn't have their finishing boots on. Dodd is back for the big one on Saturday and possibly Geall goes on the right? come on you Green Lions...

Edited by sarniaMJ

Can't remember you being the better side on the day duncs, but my memory is not what it was :)

An excerpt from the (undoubtedly biased) Wimbledon match report re the sending off:

Two minutes later the visitors were reduced to 10 men after right wing back Ripley's horrible tackle on Gray sparked a 30 man bundle. Members of the Dons coaching stuff hared off down the touchline to stop the incident escalating, but that merely escalated the incident and Dobinson emerged nursing his jaw. Ripley was shown the red card, but was defended by his manager who was quick to point out that he was "only 17." Fine. He's 17 and he's nearly broken Ryan Gray's leg.

I am glad this was posted as I certainly do not remember that game in the same way Duncs did.

The 5,000 made me chuckle considering our record crowd has never topped 4,700 due to capacity being below that.

As it stands I would say that while we have been established, particularly in the lower levels the decisions tended to go against us, not for us.

I think some refs made a point of NOT giving decisions our way as if to show they would not be swayed.

Refs were rarely swayed by the crowd and we had to take more kicks from the opposition because of who we were.

A lot of teams used physical force to try to beat us and we rarely got protection.

Either way, this is not a complaint, just my opinion of how I saw it - I have no intention of getting into an argument as refs jobs are hard enough as it is.

Funnily enough, during the second half of the Farnham game in our first season (one of th emost boring 0-0 draws ever as Farnham played about 8 across the back, we spoke to the subs as they were warming up in the second half and they were saying how great a day it was and the manager was going to give them all a run out. Nice lads.

I watched the match on GFCTV and firstly have to say that is the best I have ever seen Egham play (disproving the theory that the cameras work in GFC favour). Sure GFC weren't firing on all cylinders - but Egham exploited their weaknesses and didn't let them play their normal game. GFCTV managed to get live comments from Matt Le Tissier who confirmed most watchers view that the ref missed a penalty which, on another day, could have been a red card for the goalie (who I felt isn't as good a substitute for Tardif as the Hamon lad). On this performance I cannot see past Egham as Champions but then again not many teams will be able to suppress Guernsey the way Egham did. Good luck to both except when they play the Baggies next week ;)

Well deserved Egham. Great tactics and lots of passion and bite. Totally shocking though from Guernsey. This was the big one and there was no life or zip whatsoever. Just a few thoughts. It was plainly obvious early on that the long ball was not going to work so why carry on for the entire 90 minutes? Egham played the ball expertly on the ground and the pitch didn't seem that bad. We can do that very well also so why not? What the hell is Zimmerman doing at right back? Like Bambi with a broken leg! Constantly on the back foot, beaten at will by their left winger and cannot pass a ball for toffee. Surely somebody else could of filled in there?

I think one of the issues today was not having a recognised full-back on either wing. One on the wrong side of the pitch and the other out of his depth (as mentioned previously). A lot of people see a full-back as just there to make up the numbers but in modern football and the way GFC play they are vital. Even Arsenal suffered in a big way (more than they already have!) earlier in the season when they lost their full-backs. The warning signs were there on Saturday but luckily Wembley didn't have their finishing boots on. Dodd is back for the big one on Saturday and possibly Geall goes on the right? come on you Green Lions...

good post very honest an to the point no rose tinited glasses it seems

Both Egham and Guernsey have some tough fixtures ahead.

The key for me is that Egham have only 6 at home but 11 away while Guernsey have 14 at home and 9 away.

23 games in 2 months is a big ask but, if their squad is strong enough, they have the class to do it.

Zimmerman played at right back as we only had 4 fit defenders...

Zimmerman is better at centre back so I would of played him there (or left him on the bench) and sacrificed somebody more mobile and comfortable on the ball at right-back. Even a midfielder like Scott Bradford perhaps who was warming the bench would of offered more in that position.

nice try Trev at least you fooled the Rother Kent,we were told the game was sold out and every programme had been sold,just to give you a little insight we were bottom and they were top and the crowd came in their droves baying for a slaughter,it would not be the 1st time a club (deliberately or not )gave out a wrong attendance figure but i can tell you there was not a spare seat in the ground,there seems to be a little cick on here at the moment that want to diss whatever I say please dont go down that road,and of course the reporter gave his account of what happened but don't be naieve mate which paper was he reporting for,and being the manager I don't think its in my make up to shout out a players age ha ha ha get real mate you know what i'm like,Dobo was holding his face because I grabbed him around the jaw I was told by the Ref if I said or did anything else then he would send me from the dug out,nothing wrong with my memory Terry