Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

20 pages (sigh!)

Maybe a start here would be to post the dates that Guernsey RFC have scheduled home matches on.

Also, whilst other grounds on the island may be wet, they surely can't be getting the same use if there is rugby on at Footes Lane too. Are there other pitches that are less used?

Here's my suggestion, which will probably be shot down in flames too!

We move six Guernsey Saturday away games to midweek dates. With exception of South Park who are now out of the Vase and Surrey Senior Cup, most clubs are well up with their fixtures and they can host a midweek game against Guernsey instead. Looking at the remaining fixtures Guernsey are away to Hanworth 20/4, South Park 6/4, Bedfont Sports 16/3, Badshot Lea 9/3 and RPV 16/2. All of those could be moved to Tuesdays.

That then leaves five Saturdays that could be used for five of the six outstanding fixtures (Camberley, Sandhurst, RPV, E&E, South Park) . Then the Farnham v Guernsey game on 26th January should be switched round.

I understand that the rugby club might be playing on many of those Saturdays, but Guernsey have to meet half way with this too. Maybe playing somewhere else on the island on those dates or instead maybe football at 11am and rugby at 3pm on the Saturday?

That is without extending the season by a week, which, if it were to happen might provide another Saturday.

Yes, it involves a bit of juggling, and yes it doesn't factor in the state, availability or facilities of other grounds on the island, or further progression in the Vase, or the weather forecast, but it surely makes sense to get those Saturdays free as it's already clear very few teams want to travel on a Sunday or games would have been arranged. The only other alternative I can see is as Adam suggested regarding midweeks.

A well thought out post Richard,however if their Vase game against Rye gets called off,which is highly likely,that adds in another fixture.Say Guernsey were to win that tie,which is highly likely,that would bring Ash into the equation,whether Guernsey get a Home or away tie.Then you have to factor in the Premier League Cup,say they beat Epsom and Ewell,and get a Home draw which is 50/50 what then.By your suggestion that all Guernseys remaing away fixtures be played midweek,by my reckoning that would cost them in the region of £10,000,sure they would plump for that.THE ONLY WAY FOR THIS TO BE SORTED,is for the League to call a special Meeting,where all the CLUBS ARE PRESENT,so that ideas can be put across,to remedy a difficult situation.I for one am very suprised,by the quietness of the League on this.However it seems to me that,that Horley and Epsom and Ewell have already had talks with Guernsey,as single entities to secure a solution for their own Clubs.However the only people who can sort this mess out is the League.Cove a couple of seasons ago had problems regards their ground,another ground was found.Worcester Park similar problems.Molesey this year had ground problems this year, a solution was found.Guernsey are no different.CCL SORT IT OUT,stop sitting on your hands,make a decision,it is your and yours alones shout.

Fred's proposal shows just how difficult it is to remain "fair" to all. Is it fair to ask GFC to switch half a dozen games from Saturdays when they can field their strongest teams to midweek, when we all know their squad isn't as strong? Is that not asking them to do what the mainland Clubs are against doing themselves? Is it fair to then expect them to play their home games on unfamiliar pitches (if indeed available)?. A fairer solution in my view involves waiting till the better spring weather arrives (Mid-April) then using the Friday / Sunday option 4 times to clear 8 outstanding home fixtures, or 5 times if those outstanding games increase. Yes it would mean playing well into May but that has been done often in the past. Clubs that don't want to travel for Fridays / Sundays have the same option that GFC have - play midweek with a weakened squad. Couldn't be fairer?

It's very wet here at the moment a it's not supposed to let up before the weekend and they've already enquired about moving the game to another local pitch but that's not possible due to work being carried out on it.

On the plus side due to our positively tropical climate there won't be any games called off due to a frozen pitch early next year.

GFC have contacted Bels about the availability of The Track for Satturday and as previously posted its not available. I would think that no other pitches are available, either due to other matches already being scheduled there, not suitable or in some cases the owners (the other local clubs) not wanting to host any other matches.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/business/2012/12/19/track-not-an-option-for-lions/?utm_campaign=Sport&utm_term=Guernsey+Press+sport&utm_content=Sports+stories+from+the+Guernsey+Press&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by HKP

An update on the pitch at Footes Lane, GFC Chairman said in the Guernsey Press (who reported he was frustrated at the amount of postponements) "I understand Culture and Leisure have been looking into this situation and have commissioned a report and like other users there we would hope that if there is a need for remedial work it can be carried out quickly and efficently".

Culture and Leisure Keith Gallienne confirmed that a Sports Institute Research Instituted, from Bingley have submitted a report. "They will advise on any long-term response. We would take their advice. I'm not aware that there is a problem with the drains. It's just been a very wet autumn."

As for the chances of playing on Saturday he said "Rain is forecast every day and the two-drops variety. The pitch is still very heavy and there is a bit of standing water on it. The reminder of the week is pretty grim".

Edited by HKP

Obviously observing from afar and not knowing the make up of the pitch [soil type etc.] but with rugby and football taking place regularly do the club, state, or whoever is responsible for the pitch have a regular programme for verti-draining as that will ease compaction and open it up so the drainage works properly ?

Sorry no idea, the local Government's Culture & Leisure Department are responsilbe for the ground and I know they have a very good groundsman.

could it be that no other local club wants to help guernsey at this difficult time like they didnt want them to join the pyramid?? is there really only two suitable pitches to play coco on the island?

Are there regulations that need to be met in terms of grounds eg do they have to have a stand? If so then that rules out half of the pitches leaving the track (already said no due to work takin place) Corbet field (usually wetter than footes lane) and North field.

I'm not sure about North but I don't think there have been any games there lately due to the state of the pitch so I doubt it will be any drier than footes lane, especially with the weather as it is.

when we were over we trained on or near a large cricket pitch there were goals there pitch superb albeit last season couldnt this be used ? the game would have to be behind closed doors if you like as only a pitch!?

This maybe slightly iffy but what about in Jersey ?

Good shout Kroons ;) .Saturdays game against Dorking will be a hard one to call.Presently in Guernsey,wet,windy,misty,foggy.Tomoz bright and Sunny.Saturday however Windy,heavy rain all day.Weather reports have been very accurate of late,so will it be a late call at the Airport for Dorking?A decision made on Friday evening,so the Players can have a lie in?Or take a risk that the weather,is not as bad as predicted and fly them over,taking the risk that the game is not abandoned.

It's very wet here, I'd say wetter than last week...

Edited by HKP

Just heard that Glynn and Hurdy have orderered the squad to be fully prepared, and pack flippers and snorkel !!!!

:ph34r:

:bolt: